Mission

Main Content

students walking

VISION STATEMENT

Non-Traditional Student Services will advocate for transfer,commuters, and individuals outside the traditional age to ensure they reach their academic and personal goals.

MISSION STATEMENT

Non-Traditional Student Services serves SIUC's transfers, commuters and individuals outside the traditional age through guidance, support, and resource referral to enhance educational experiences from the point of entry to degree completion.

NEW PROGRAMS FOR NON-TRADITIONAL STUDENTS

 

Transfer Transition Program

The SIU Transfer Transition program will automatically assign new Transfer students to an upper class Transfer Transition student leader. The Transfer Transition Leader will serve as a mentor for new Transfer students while also providing resources, support and encouragement.

Commuter Connections Program

The SIU Commuter Connections Program will automatically assign new Commuter students to an upper class Commuter Advocate. The Commuter Advocate will serve as a mentor for the new Commuter students while also providing resources, support and encouragement.

For more information on these new programs, please contact the Non-Traditional Student Services office at 618.453.7521 or email nontrad@siu.edu.

WE LOVE SERVING STUDENTS!

Who do we serve?                                                                  

  • Majority (87%) are currently enrolled students
  • Majority (67%) are undergraduate students
  • Nearly all (89%) reach out via email or in person
  • Nearly half (48%) are repeat contacts.  Remaining 52% learned of office through newsletter, program/event/new student orientation, NTSS outreach, or by other office or student referral.
  • Students contact NTSS with diverse needs. Top contact reasons include:
    • General support/questions
    • Family ID card
    • Financial
    • Childcare